Electroflight is a leading technology and engineering services business that supplies bespoke battery systems for the aerospace sector. Founded in 2011, the company is now at the forefront of the electrification of aviation, providing high-performance battery solutions and electrification consultancy services to major aerospace partners around the world.
We are looking for a Thermal Systems Engineer focusing on electric aircraft sub-system and system thermal performance. In this role you will be responsible for thermal aspect of electric and hybrid electric powertrain, from collecting the data, preparing the simulation models and performing simulations, to the analysis of numerically and experimentally obtained data.
You will interact with multiple departments to develop, improve and optimise thermal systems from component to the full vehicle level.
For this position you must be passionate about physics, thermodynamics, but also you should be passionate about aerospace, green technology and solving of complex engineering problems.
- Prepare, perform and analyse thermal system simulations using 1D tools.
- Build and develop 1D simulation model at full vehicle level with emphasis on powertrain heat transfer, aerodynamics, vehicle dynamics and control logic.
- Integration of vehicle sub-systems into a larger system level simulation model.
- Coupling between various 1D models from different departments or suppliers.
- Suggest improvements on design, processes and methods.
- Interact with other departments or suppliers to collect input data for simulation and model building.
- Provide suggestions and improvements after analysing simulation or experimental data.
- Mentor less experienced engineers.
- Write technical documents, prepare presentations and communicate the results to higher leadership.
Knowledge, experience and qualifications
- Full understanding of electric vehicle thermal management concepts, including flow architecture, heat rejection methods, cooling system components (heat exchangers, pumps, valves, sensors, …)
- 4+ years of experience in automotive powertrain cooling systems development
- A strong grasp of Fluid Dynamics, Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer.
- Good level of programming knowledge in relevant 1D tools to vary control parameters of components such as inverters, batteries and electric motors.
- Proven analytical abilities with some of the following modelling tools: MATLAB and Simulink.
- Your commitment to project plan and deliverables.
- Good communication and organization skills.
- Coupling of 1D and 3D CFD simulations
- Sub-system and system level testing experience
- Experience with thermal control logic design and testing
- Membership of an industry related professional body is advantageous but not essential.
How to apply
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV.